Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Alcohol

Today marks the one-week point that I have abstained from alcohol. My goal isn't to abstain completely, but  to moderate my intake. From being a 2-a-day (at least) drinker to not having one drink in a whole week is a HUGE improvement. Not just for my physical health, but my mental health as well. 

As for the physical, according to LoseIt.com (my daily calorie and exercise tracker), "Our bodies respond to alcohol much as it deals with excess carbs. Alcohol isn't necessarily evil because it's always stored as fat, but because it reduces the amount of fat your body burns for energy." This could explain why my body has been slimming down so quickly already.

As for the mental, well we all know how we get when we drink a little too much... cloudy judgement, absence of mental to verbal filter, etc. Maybe it's because of my increased amount of exercise, or maybe it's because of my lack of alcohol intake (or possibly both), my mood has been extremely upbeat and hopeful. This is also a big deal for me, being a girl who struggled with depression for so many years and commonly thinking about things in, not so much a negative light, but not an extremely positive one, either. I tend to think of myself as a realist, and my reality has recently become a lot more hopeful and inspired!

Food for thought: next time you crave alcohol or need help to relax from a stressful day of work, try getting 10-minutes of exercise (crunches, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc.) or drawing a nice warm bubble bath with a fruit smoothie or something! Just don't make alcohol you're go-to stress reliever and don't make it a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment